<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.08.2008

For that very reason

I don’t know where to begin. You people spoil me. Do you know that? Brandon and I cannot even dream of how to adequately thank you for the immensely kind and utterly galvanizing comments you left in response to The Big Restaurant Announcement. Some of you even sent e-mails, offering advice, encouragement, and hands-on(!) help(!). I’m still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. Thank you. Or rather, I mean, THANK YOU. If I could hire a plane to write it in the sky, I would, because that would best capture the magnitude of the sentiment. But we have a budget to stay within, you understand.

So, onward we go, right? I will keep you posted, I promise, as the process moves along. This week, Brandon’s main project is to design the layout of the kitchen, which is a rather fraught endeavor, as you can imagine. And soon I’ll be spending some time over there with my cameras, documenting the construction process, which I’m pretty excited about. I like taking pictures of messes - it’s the neatnik in me, I think, trying perversely to impose order - and what we’ve got right now definitely qualifies as a mess.


As does, conveniently, this photograph. These Danish butter cookies are not only one of the most wonderful things I have eaten lately, but they are also among the most difficult items I have ever, ever, tried to photograph. For one thing, they’re plain and monochromatic, as butter cookies generally are. They’re lovely to eat, but sort of boring to look at. Also, I’m almost positive that while I was washing the dishes, they held a secret meeting on the cooling rack and decided, just for fun, to wiggle a little bit each time I tried to take their picture. I think they also got the sun in on the game, because the light today was awful. Don’t even ask about the close-up shots. If I had a dime for every time I cussed at these blurry naughties, I would have, well, like, a dollar. That may not seem like much, but it could buy me a first-rate bagel at Absolute Bagels. To punish the cookies for their disobedience, Brandon and I ate about a half dozen of them, and then, take that, I put the rest in the freezer. Something tells me they won’t act up again.

This weekend, and these cookies, marked the beginning of my annual holiday baking ritual. Those of you who have been reading for a while may remember that a cloud of powdered sugar generally hovers over this site each December, and this one is no exception. For the third year in a row, I’ve decided to give handmade gifts for the holidays. Mainly because it makes me feel good, but also because it keeps me out of the mall, which is good for everyone, I assure you. I’m making a number of candies and cookies, like this and this and this and the recalcitrant specimens above, and I’m also making a few non-food things that I won’t reveal here, because their recipients might be reading. And because handmade doesn’t necessarily mean homemade, I also bought a few things from this beautiful shop, and from this one too. If money were no object, I would also buy a ban.do for my cousin Sarah, who loves to wear tiaras, because ban.dos are sort of like tiaras, only better. Sadly, I think she will have to settle for something a little less impressive, but it’s the thought that counts, I hear.



But about the butter cookies. I hope I didn’t make them sound too maddening, because the truth is, so long as you don’t come after them with a camera, they are completely docile. And they’re very, very delicious, which is all that matters. They may be modest little ladies - yes, somehow, they seem female to me; I can’t explain it - but they’re beguiling: delicate and not too sweet, rich with the flavor of pure butter and tender enough to melt the second they meet your tongue. The first one I tasted made my eyes roll back in my head, and that doesn’t usually happen unless there is chocolate involved. I found the recipe in this month’s Gourmet, and it sounded so perfectly simple that I had to try it. It was sent to the magazine by a reader in New Jersey, who explained that it was a fifth-generation family recipe from Denmark. Having now tried it, I can well understand its longevity. It is, without a doubt, a keeper.


It begins with a pound of butter. The key, I think, is that it calls for Lurpak butter, a particularly delicious - if pricey - brand produced, of course, in Denmark. I know that sounds fussy, but it’s worth the trouble to seek it out and pay the extra pennies, because it really is a wonderful butter, and these cookies are all about the butter. If you’ve ever eaten store-bought Danish butter cookies, you will recognize the concept, only the homemade version is worlds - entire universes, even - more delicious. To make it, you start by creaming the butter in a mixer, and then you add flour, baking soda, and sugar. Like I said, perfectly simple. You roll out the dough between sheets of plastic wrap, and then you chill it briefly, until it feels firm to the touch. Then you cut it into rectangles, brush it with egg and sprinkle it with coarse sugar, and bake until the edges go barely golden.

The finished cookies are dainty as sand dollars, with the familiar, irresistible, and profoundly reassuring fragrance of warm butter. If these cookies wore clothes, I’m pretty sure they would wear roomy blouses and long, full skirts with pastel flowers and, underneath, flesh-colored pantyhose and white satin slips with fine lace trim. Actually, now that I’ve typed that, I notice that I have just, in essence, described my grandmother. But it fits, and it’s how I feel about these cookies. They’re not hip or flashy or even photogenic, but I sort of love them anyway, and maybe even for that very reason.



Real Danish Butter Cookies
Adapted from Gourmet, December 2008

These would be really, really wonderful with a cup of tea. If you plan to give them as gifts, be sure to package them carefully, since they’re so delicate.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 lb. unsalted Lurpak butter, at room temperature for 1 hour
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, beaten
3 to 4 Tbsp. sanding or other coarse-grain sugar, such as Turbinado

Set racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until fluffy. Then add the sugar and beat briefly to combine. Add the flour mixture, and beat on low speed until just combined. (Unless you have a plastic guard that sits around the rim of the bowl, this will make a big mess at first, with flour flying everywhere. I found that carefully holding a dish towel around the top of the bowl helped a lot.) The dough will appear crumbly, but if you squeeze a bit in your hand, it will cohere. Divide the dough in half.

Roll each half between large sheets of plastic wrap into a rectangle approximately 10 by 15 inches, about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer, still in plastic wrap, to a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Then remove the top layer of plastic wrap and cut into
2-by-1 ½-inch rectangles. (I tried this with some of my dough, but I found that the finished, baked cookies were a little larger than I wanted, so I wound up cutting next batch of rectangles in half, and I liked that size better. You might want to play around and decide for yourself.) Arrange the rectangles 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. If the dough becomes too soft, chill or freeze until it is again firm enough to handle.

Brush the tops of the cookies very lightly with the beaten egg, and then sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake the cookies, 2 sheets at a time, switching positions of the pans halfway through baking, until they are very pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes; then carefully slide the cookies, still on the parchment, onto wire racks. Cool completely. Make more cookies with the remaining dough, baking on cooled, freshly lined baking sheets. Reroll scraps once.

Note: Cookies will keep at room temperature for up to a week. Because I don’t plan to give mine away to friends for a week or two, I froze mine, and I’ll bet they’d be just fine that for a month or two, easy.

Yield: about 9 dozen cookies

76 Comments:

Blogger A Day That Is Dessert said...

These sound great!

Is Brandon still at Boat Street? - I love their holiday decorations!

10:13 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger H.Peter said...

Danish Butter Cookies. Even the ones in the big blue round tin at Costco taste great.

I can only imagine how this receipe will turn out!

10:32 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger Keri said...

Salivating! I wonder where to find Lurpak butter hereabouts (Vancouver, B.C.) Some of that is dairy board regulations, I'd guess.
BTW, I'm getting off my duff to renew my passport in time to visit a certain new restaurant just south of here in the spring.

10:41 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger Metalsgirl said...

only problem now is that I want to eat these right this minute - but it's 1am and they aren't made yet. awww!

11:07 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Lecia, Brandon is still at Boat Street, yep, and he likely will be until the restaurant opens. Do they have paper cut-outs in the windows again this year? I always love their holiday decorations, but I haven't been there in a month or so, so I don't know what they're doing this year...

And Keri, Lurpak butter is fairly easy to find in the States, so I hope you can get it in Canada! Here, I usually buy it at Whole Foods. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

11:34 PM, December 08, 2008  
Blogger Allison Danielle said...

Molly, you write so beautifully! I'm reminded of Proust and Swann's Way yet more accessible. Thank you.

12:20 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been checking all day to see if you posted! I'm a college freshman and I can't wait to go home and start Christmas baking. I want to eat these cookies by the batch.

12:52 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, and Im just looking for perfect holiday gifts -- these would definitely be one of them. I swear I will be giving baked goodies this year - trying to avoid the malls too. Btw, I hope to hear about your NY trip -- what you ate and where :)

2:17 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger anya said...

Molly, can't wait for your book to be released: your writing style is amazing. Did you take any workshops on creative writing? Or it's something you improve through reading lots and lots of books which I reckon you do, 'cause your vocabulary is so rich?

3:11 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Mama JJ said...

Molly, the photos are beautiful. And the cookies sound very very yummy---thank you for the recipe.

-JJ

3:58 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh, how lovely these look.

After your pictures last year, I bought red, green, and gold cellophane on a hot summer's day when I happened to spy a Michael's at a strip mall (of all things) in Great Neck (of all places), when I was headed for a business meeting. That car just swerved right by itself into the parking lot. (If anyone knows where to find cellophane right in NYC, please let me know.) Now I am ready for my own gift-giving baking bonanza.

Happy Hols to you and Brandon. Please, please, please let your lovely light continue to shine on us through 2009. Bless you both, and lots of luck with your new and exciting project.

4:06 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Alina said...

Wow...sounds simple yet quite amazing. Not sure where I would get Danish butter, but it sounds worth calling around for!

5:15 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Stacey said...

I thought it was just me. Trying to photograph any sugar cookie is very hard! This recipe sounds so good I will have to look for the butter while in Tulsa tommorrow. No where to be found on Beaty's Creek.

5:23 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Warm Bunny said...

Cute post. Those naughty little butter cookies! (Maybe you should write a children's Christmas book.) Warm wishes to you and Brandon, and may all your restaurant dreams come true. Some day I'll get out that way to see my aunt in Olympia, and then scoot up to Seattle to find the FOOD! Can't wait to see the menu.

5:26 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I just read that recipe yesterday, how funny! I was planning a trip to Whole Foods for the butter (no small endeavor) and I'm glad to hear they're so tasty.

5:48 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger lottie said...

molly, you've just made my pre-christmas busier now with this recipe but i can only thank you for it as they look a-mazing.

6:25 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger hannah said...

oh you devil. i just made my baking list yesterday, and here you come at me with butter cookies. you know how i feel about butter. one question, are you freezing the baked cookies or the dough and freshly baking to send out your gifts?

6:41 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger jbeach said...

This will be my first year sending cookies as gifts. If you think these are ok to ship, I'm all in.
They sound absolutely scrumdiddlyumptious! Thanks!!
Beautifully written post, as usual. Inspiring, thank you.
(It makes my post about carrot-zucchini-yogurt-molasses-wheat germ muffins feel mundane, but that's ok. It's not your fault.) ^,^

6:56 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Simply Yummy Goodness said...

I was so excited when I saw this recipe in Gourmet. I am happy to hear they are everything I hoped they be, can't wait to make them myself.

6:58 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger shari said...

hello dear molly. as always, this post was a pleasure to read. did i ever tell you tom's favorite food is butter? ;) can't wait to make him a batch of these cookies as a special gift. i'm wondering if vermont butter will do the trick? i know there is no way i will find lurpak in my village without stoplights. xo

7:00 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Erin said...

I love giving homemade gifts. This year I am giving a basket of homemade gifts including chicken apple sausages, pannetone, butter and a few store bought items such as coffee and clementines. My siblings and I are sort of over the extravagant gifts, it's fun seeing what we come up with each year.
Your cookies look delicious. I think I'll have to give them a go!

7:21 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe sounds like just the ticket for holiday giving and eating, but it's the prose that mesmerized me. When you lose yourself in a story, you're unbeatable.

7:36 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Erin @ Sprouted in the Kitchen said...

Lurpak butter! There's a name I've never heard. Who knows where I'd find it around here, but wouldn't it be interesting if I could?

And yes, the boring food--I know, I know. I eat some food that might look unappealing but doesn't taste that way. For instance, lentil soup...it often looks like, well, like someone got sick. But it is delicious! The cookies look great despite their behavior and blase color ways.

7:41 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous EB said...

Molly.... you're so adorably easy to support! You make all of us happy with your writing so it's only fair we send some of that happy back to you!

7:46 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger kayenne said...

this recipe sounds suspiciously similar to my own shortbread, minus the baking soda, plus double the sugar. and since chocolate makes everything better, i swap part of my flour with some dutch-processed cocoa powder. baked at 300F for about 30 minutes.

heaven in a bite!

8:20 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger c. kramer said...

Hi! I've been reading for awhile...this is my first comment though. These sound delicious. I can't wait to try them out. Thanks :-)
And congratulations on the restaurant!

8:30 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Rosiecat said...

Utterly delicious post, Molly! The photos are lovely, perhaps because they are a bit different than your usual style these days.

Speaking of butter cookies, have you tried Nigella's Pistashio Crescents from How to Eat? Holy frijoles, those cookies are addictive! It may spell disaster for me now that I've discovered them...

8:35 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy holidays, Molly. These look delicious, I think the photos are as lovely as usual.

8:42 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Anna said...

Yay for handmade gifts! Please check into my blog in about a week to see what I will be making to give out!
daughterofabaker.blogspot.com

It involves many different kinds of chocolate!

Also, I was excited to see your Aunt Bill's article in my Bon Appetit. I've only been reading you online and didn't even realize you were in the magazine that shows up at my house very month!

8:45 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Elissa said...

Thanks so much for these! I am just starting to get ready to make lots of edible holiday gifts and am borrowing liberally from all your gift ideas. I'm also looking forward to trying the Aunt Bill's recipe. One question for you about those--do you usually store them in the fridge, or do they keep at room temp!

8:51 AM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Sara said...

This sounds fantastic. I am rounding up all my Christmas cookie recipes to have a big day of baking and I think I am adding these to the list.

9:11 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger michaela said...

I've had that page dog-eared and the Lurpak in my fridge waiting to make them tonight. What Gourmet cover did you get?

9:21 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Sarah Beam said...

Would you BELIEVE my oven chose this week to go on the fritz? And the appliance repairman, who took two days to get here, then told me the part we needed would take another two weeks to arrive? And then, most likely, there would be even more work involved, but that we wouldn't know it until we installed the one part?

How can a girl prepare for Christmas under these circumstances? Heck, how can a girl prepare DINNER with conditions like this?

Oh, I don't mean to dump on you, but I was just sure you would understand my consternation and distress. Please send cookies.

9:22 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

Brings up memories of those horrid, cheap, blue tins of cookies from Walmart that I used to have to eat as a kid. Can't wait to try these! Know they will be imcomparably better. Love your handmaid gifts - so much better than impersonal, store bought stuff - and I'll do anything to avoid the mall's too.

9:36 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Melindy said...

Molly!

OH how your writing makes me snicker and smile-!
You have influenced my own voice as writer without me even realizing it-

Congrats on the restaurant!

And THANKS for the holiday goody suggestions...

9:46 AM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Margo said...

Wow, I guess I got caught up with work and school, because I hadn't actually seen your post about the restaurant. I read so many great food bloggers, but you're the first one whose restaurant (okay, the restaurant with which you are associated) I'll actually get to visit! Woohoo! Congrats on the big plunge, and keep us informed. Also, make us lots of cookies.

11:08 AM, December 09, 2008  
OpenID ButtonsMagee said...

oh butter cookies! I think there is something else on my baking list now.

12:13 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Bel Air said...

Awesome Absolute Bagels shout out! I live around the corner! A dozen Absolute bagels has become my go to hostess gift when I go out of town. I'm pretty sure people invite me to stay just for the bagels at this point...

12:20 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love the sound of these cookies and will definitely be making them in the xmas holidays.

The Lurpak recommendation was surprising as it is the bog-standard butter in the UK (and Europe, perhaps?) and one I only ever use when the flavour of butter isn't important.

Wonder if US Lurpak is different to Europe Lurpak? Or are we just spoilt for butters here??

12:52 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Hillary said...

Haha I could curse all of the foods I make for not photographing well, but maybe it's just my camera :)

Thanks for the butter cookie recipe and I can't wait for more details on the resto!

1:12 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh dear, you can fuss about the photos all you want lady, but these look and sound lovely. Now you're making me a little sad that I'm not re-enacting last year's baking ritual. It was so much fun, making up all those little packages. How I miss my stand mixer...

Ah well, maybe next year.

1:23 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Donna Baker said...

Molly, just a little secret I stumbled upon. At Whole Foods they have this goatmilk butter that is the most sinful and delicious butter on the planet. It is so expensive that I dare not bake with it but savor it on a cracker or biscuit. It's made by Meyenberg. Merry Christmas from Oklahoma.

1:39 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous jennie said...

more reasonably priced feather/etc. headbands are available here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5016723

2:25 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Dana McCauley said...

Hmmm - I wonder if we can buy lurpak butter here in Canada. I may have to find a Danish store since I've never noticed it in any of my regular haunts.

Intriguing!

4:01 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Molly!

I've been reading your blog for several months & have enjoyed many of your recipes!

This is my first comment but I couldn't resist once you brought up the Danish butter... My mom is Danish and when I was a kid, she & my dad would freeze an obscene amount of butter whenever we visited her family so that we could bring it back in our suitcases because I had developed a taste for it and REFUSED to eat any other butter once our supply ran out... Once you've had Danish dairy, it's hard to go back! We were thrilled when they started carrying Lurpak in the States several years ago -- it made our suitcases significantly lighter!

Can't wait to try these cookies! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes -- & good luck with the restaurant!

4:41 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Sfamylou said...

I love that you posted this. I saw that recipe and can't wait to make them. I'll be back to read you soon! Thanks.

6:04 PM, December 09, 2008  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I was fascinated by that recipe too! Does anyone have any idea where to find Lurpak butter in NYC?

7:18 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Andrea Wedewer said...

These look delicious. Think I'll cheat and see how they turn out with Tillamook butter since I just bought a pound yesterday. Since we're on the subject of cookies, do you have a favorite sugar cookie recipe you might be willing to share? Every time I make a recipe from your site it's a big hit. Hoping to improve my cookie repertoire and you never disappoint!

9:20 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger kaitlin said...

I have great admiration for your willpower to freeze cookies. I think that kind of strength means you are headed for delicious success!

5:14 AM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Payal Shah said...

I tried your "Aunt Bill's Brown Candy" recipe the other night. The results were great. The candy has an awesome aroma and mouth-watering flavor. Thank you so much for the recipe.

7:47 AM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger A Day That Is Dessert said...

Molly: cream colored paper chains cut with a scalloped edge. I loved it so much we're doing it at home (it's taking forever to cut a bunch of strips with scalloped edge scissors, but it is a great look and my six year old is having a lot of fun doing it).

8:32 AM, December 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just getting around to Monday's Wall Street Journal and THERE YOU ARE, mentioned in Blog Watch by Nikki Waller on page R10, along with Heidi (101 Cookbooks) and Pim (Chez Pim). So if you're wondering about that leap in site stats....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122842312495880495.html

Congratulations!

Susan

11:20 AM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Susannah said...

Hi Molly, I enjoyed this post and the amount of butter it will allow me to purchase. I especially loved your admission of loving these cookies because of their seeming lack of bells and whistles. I wrote about some "fringe" cookies in a recent post as well. Sometimes a girl has got to mix it up!:)

5:52 AM, December 11, 2008  
Blogger Jessica said...

Great post! I love your description of these cookies. You make it sound like such an adventure to bake and eat these. I thought I had all of my holiday baking planned out, but now I am tempted to add just one more cookie to the list!

11:27 AM, December 11, 2008  
Blogger Sternkind said...

The recipe is very similar to my German Grandmother's recipe for the christmas cookies she sends us each year! Nothing beats christmas butter cookies.

2:14 PM, December 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the restaurant right next to the new Honore Bakery in Ballard? They have great pastries and desserts.

3:50 PM, December 11, 2008  
Anonymous Shelley (Pink House) said...

The Cookies look yummy and I actually DREAM of having a "holiday baking weekend" - sounds wonderful. As it is I'll be lucky to get my fudge and dipped pretzels done before holiday guests arrive. Let alone my hazelnut butter balls.

Congrats on the restaurant! How exciting. I travel to Seattle a couple of times a year and so I'll be happy to visit in the spring or summer of next year. What is the neighborhood? Ballard? Queen Anne? Can't tell from the pic.

8:40 AM, December 12, 2008  
Blogger Rosie said...

I am a notoriously bad baker, but these sounded so easy and good I gave them a try. (There's pressure to provide cookies at work on Monday for a fundraiser.) Alas, my bad baking karma did not lift. I am not sure what I did, because my memory is that I followed the directions to a letter (right kind of butter, left at room temp for an hour, etc.) but the stuff just would not stick together.

Gremlins, I'm sure. Luckily, I can melt chocoloate and add nuts and dried fruit, so I will have something to contribute on Monday!

11:47 AM, December 12, 2008  
Anonymous Fix said...

Absolute!! Did you live in New York? The very best - the bagel you dream about from afar. Got me through school, they did!

5:52 PM, December 12, 2008  
Anonymous iddaa said...

I've been checking all day to see if you posted! I'm a college freshman and I can't wait to go home and start Christmas baking. I want to eat these cookies by the batch.

12:07 AM, December 13, 2008  
Blogger amisha said...

these sound absolutely fantastic. i can't wait to start my holiday baking too... just the word "butter" is getting me all excited :)
i have a holiday baking advice question for you. what do you recommend as a good cookie (or other baked good) as a gift that would have to be mailed? i have never sent cookies off before and i'm feeling nervous. thanks!
xo

2:47 PM, December 13, 2008  
Anonymous Lauren Bingham said...

The Lurpak butter that I have is unsalted. Is this what everyone has used? I noticed that there is no butter in the recipe. Should I had salt? 1 teaspoon?

9:22 AM, December 14, 2008  
Blogger Lydia said...

I am also wondering about the lack of salt. I guess I will try it w/out salt.

12:11 PM, December 14, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Hi, all. Have you tried the cookies yet? We keep raiding the freezer, eating them. Something tells me I might not be giving away as many as I thought...

But yes, you had a few questions, right? I'm sorry for not tending to them earlier. If it's not too late, here you go:

Anya, thank you! I don't have much in the way of training, no. I fell in love with poetry as a teenager and spent a couple of summers in poetry workshops, but that's about the extent of it. That, and this blog. Writing here has been a pretty amazing education.

Hannah, I freeze the baked cookies. That's what my mom always did when she made her Christmas cookies, and so I do it too, and it seems to work out just fine. I pull the cookies out of the freezer just in time to pack them in tins, and then off they go... xo

Shari, I'm sure Vermont butter will do the trick. Lurpak is really lovely, but if you can't get it, you shouldn't let that stand in your way. Especially not when you've got such a butter fan in the house! xo

Elissa, I store my Aunt Bill's in the fridge.

Sarah Beam, oh my. Good lord. You have my deepest condolences.

Wendy, I think you're spoiled for butter! Lurpak is definitely considered a fancy brand here. It does have a quite mild flavor, but to me, it's exceptionally nice: very clean, very pure-tasting.

For those of you wondering where to find Lurpak, if you live anywhere near a Whole Foods, you might start there. I am always able to find Lurpak at Whole Foods. Or if you don't have one of those nearby, try any high-end grocery store or gourmet store. And keep your fingers crossed.

Andrea Wedewer, I'm afraid I don't have a sugar cookie recipe for you. Actually, I don't think I've even made sugar cookies before, as sad as that sounds. I should rectify that soon, shouldn't I?

Amisha, let's see. I have sent tons of cookies and candies in the mail, and assuming that you pack them carefully and send them via 2- or 3-day air, they should hold up alright. You might try searching my recipe index for the buckwheat cookies with cocoa nibs that I posted last year, or maybe chocolate-covered coconut macaroons? Or coffee-walnut toffee? You couldn't go wrong with any of those... xo

Lauren Bingham and Lydia, nope, there is no salt in this recipe. It sounds strange, I know, but somehow, it doesn't need it. The cookies taste perfectly balanced as is.

12:55 PM, December 14, 2008  
OpenID dysmindseye said...

I can't believe I just found your blog! And I can't wait to try these scrumptious sounding little treats!

And Boat Street? On Western? For real? I live right up the street...

6:02 AM, December 15, 2008  
Blogger Mommy of three said...

Molly, I made these cookies at 1 AM last night. In my sleep deprived state I thought they were excellent. After enjoying one for breakfast this morning, I can say that by the morning light, they still are. These will be added to my Christmas cookie list. Thanks.
Thank you also for inspiring me in so many more ways than cooking. Reading your blog is highlight of my week. I don't exaggerate when I say it has changed my life. Thank you, thank you.

9:26 AM, December 15, 2008  
Blogger Minti said...

Hello Molly,
I can't wait to make these. (Do you know if this recipe can be halved successfully? I am not sure I can use that many cookies. Plus the butter is sort of expensive) Thanks!

2:55 PM, December 15, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Minti, I do think you could halve this recipe perfectly successfully. Not a problem at all!

10:43 PM, December 17, 2008  
Blogger tricia said...

As a follow-up to Amisha's question above (sort of), I made these a couple hours ago (yummy, by the way)...but, I just noticed that you recommend refrigerating them. Does this mean they won't ship well? I was hoping to send them with a cookie package.

(Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions!)

3:12 PM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Sorry for not replying sooner, Tricia! These cookies will keep at room temperature for up to a week, so they're fine to ship! Just fine. Be sure to package them carefully, since they're so delicate, but otherwise, yep, send 'em! And as for your question about refrigeration, I do recommend, yes, that you freeze them if you plan to keep them for a while before you ship them; the freezer will prolong their lifespan. Do not refrigerate them, however. The fridge tends to dry things out.

7:55 PM, December 19, 2008  
Blogger Shaheen said...

Molly, I'm so tempted to make some right away. Fine butter is still elusive here. I will just have to find a way to have an access to the butter.

10:57 AM, December 20, 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

These cookies are so incredibly delicious. I just made them for my husband for a Christmas gift, but I'm not sure there will be any left by the time he gets home. Yum!! The only Lurpak butter I could find (after driving 50 miles) was lightly salted, so I used that and still had fabulous results. They're very delicate and just perfect!

8:36 AM, December 22, 2008  
Blogger c. kramer said...

I just finished baking these. Awesome cookies. Thanks for the recipe :-)
Happy Holidays!

10:34 PM, December 22, 2008  
Blogger chris said...

These are really incredible cookies and yet they are so simple. I wondered about the salt as well, but I didn't miss it. I noticed that they bake up better and look better if you make them smaller. I put them in standard-size cupcake papers and then in a tin to give away, so that they won't break because they really are a delicate cookie.

Also, I made the brown sugar candy. Needless to say, it was very popular, although I about broke my arm trying to get the caramel to melt into the cream (when I added them together, the caramel got hard as a rock). All worth it though.

3:54 PM, December 23, 2008  
Blogger Minti said...

I'm going to give the halved recipe a try - will report back about how it went. Thanks Molly!

10:21 AM, March 02, 2009  
Blogger Minti said...

I made these yesterday with half the recipe. Still warm from the oven, they were lightly crisp on the outside but melt in your mouth.

I'll try warming them in the microwave the next time to see if that works.

1:13 PM, April 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home